Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Song #555: "Missing You" by John Waite

Date: Sept 22, 1984
Weeks: 1



This is easily one of the greatest breakup songs there is. It expertly captures most of the complicated emotions that swirl around after a breakup and delivers them in a highly appealing package. This is good stuff, and if you have never listened to this song while wistfully thinking about that certain someone, then congratulations on having been in a continuous happy relationship since 1984.

The lyrics do a wonderful job capturing all those feelings. There's regret: "And I'm still standing here and you're miles away, and I'm wondering why you left." There's the memory of happiness: "I hear your name in certain circles and it always makes me smile." Self pity: "You don't know how desperate I've become." Raw pain: "It's my heart that's breaking down this long-distance line tonight." And then my favorite part, the weak declaration of being over it that is easily confused for the real thing: "I ain't missing you, I can lie to myself." On top of that, there's some nice poetic imagery I enjoy, especially "There's a message that I'm sending out like a telegraph to your soul." Sometimes in this situation, all you can do is beam out psychic thoughts and weakly hope that solves the problem. I like the way that captures the powerlessness of the situation.

The music plays right on the hairy edge of being a cheesy synth-heavy 80s song. There is certainly ample synthesizer use. There is also that poundy 80s drum. The song could easily have been a really weak, wimpy, sad song like so many other sad 80s songs. However, there is an admirable restraint in the use of such elements, and an admirable use of genuine guitars. The bass guitar throughout is a good thing to be sure. But the song's strongest moments come from the chorus, when the lead guitar picks up and blares. It's just retrained enough to not conflict with the sad theme, but within that limitation it's an ear-catching guitar tone. Whoever mixed this song did so very, very carefully and got it exactly right. I spent some time looking for a punk or rock cover that might amp up the guitar a bit to see how well that worked, but I guess no one out there thought it would work very well, because I couldn't find one. At any rate, the music here manages to capture that 80s sound without feeling dated and regrettable the way other 80s songs can be.

My verdict: Like it. One of the best of the decade, and a great song to have around to get through a rough patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment