Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Not No. 1: "Monkey Gone To Heaven" by The Pixies

Release date: March 20, 1989
Peak chart position: #5 on Billboard Modern Rock chart



No time for a proper post tonight, but I wanted to experiment with some filler for days when I can't make a full post.

I was listening to the Pixies album Doolittle recently and it struck me that their music was very experimental. Some songs worked, some didn't. Some parts of songs worked, some didn't. But one that worked very well, especially in its poetic lyrics, was this song.

Time has certainly popularized the Pixies, but they were far from chart-topping in their time. This didn't sound like anything else on the radio in 1989.

I suppose my goal with these filler posts will be to highlight some sounds in music that aren't very well represented on the list of No. 1s. Songs that didn't quite make it, despite now being considered classics, or artists that were under-appreciated in their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment