Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Song #433: "I Just Want To Be Your Everything" by Andy Gibb

Date: July 30, 1977
Weeks: 4


Oh no, not Andy Gibb again already, randomizer! But I've been good. Why are you doing this to me? Ugh. Well, maybe this one won't be so completely bad.

Phew. Good news. This one's not bad. It's not good, but it's not unpleasant.

The overall sound is that really gentle 70s soft-pop-with-disco-undertones sound. It's the disco dancer's interpretation of a sensitive love song, but one that can still be disco danced to. The falsetto vocals, the drums, the overall chords, it's all very generically disco. "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water" (#440) was a bit experimental and odd, and unfortunately that experimental oddness wasn't good. This song is playing it safe and trying to sound like every other soft 70s song. It's not ambitious, but it seems the 70s were an experimental time for music, and songs that tried to be different sometimes ended up really weird. Maybe this song is better for not trying too hard.

The synthesized backing track is the part of the song that stands out most, and its success is mixed. The song is at its least interesting when the synthesizer track is missing. But when it's playing, it sort of sounds like it's the music playing on a merry-go-round, especially during the synthesizer solo after the first chorus. It makes me feel like I'm at the state fair. Admittedly, I enjoy the state fair, but I'm not sure that's the emotion the song is going for.

Andy Gibb's falsetto vocals may be fine by the standards of the genre, but I don't like them. You should have a good reason to do falsetto vocals, and I just don't think they're necessary here. The song could have been just as good sung in a normal range.

The lyrics are typical overwrought love song stuff. "If I stay here without you, darling, I would die." Because according to the rules of teenage love, it's only real love if you literally could not live without the other person. I think there was a story about that once. Next up is "I'd do anything to be your everything." So if you don't feel the same dire sentiment about being unable to live without me, what can I do to make you feel that way? Obviously a lot of love songs contain similar sentiments, so I can't judge this one too harshly for it, but it's not to the song's credit to include it here.

My verdict: Don't like it. It's not a bad song, but it's striving too hard to be average.

No comments:

Post a Comment