Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Song #197: "Green Tambourine" by The Lemon Pipers

Date: Feb 3, 1968
Weeks: 1


That sitar opening is fairly unmistakable as identifying the late 60s. Everything about this song sounds very uniquely 60s, including the special effects that get applied to the vocals. And yet this isn't a 60s song I've heard pushed as a classic example of the music in the 60s. This is new to me, and I like being able to come to it absolutely fresh and find something enjoyable.

The music is very catchy. The beat that the rhythm guitar is putting out is a very classic rhythm, and it's one I enjoy whenever I hear it. The bass line is also really fun. Everything else kind of gets layered on top of those, becoming more of a sense of sound than anything particularly melodic, but it's done just enough to create a great sound without overwhelming the song with noise.

And it's good that the tambourine is featured. It's a tough instrument to feature well, but they managed it here, and it enhances the story that is told in the lyrics.

As for the lyrics, they're pretty simple. A poor street musician says if you pay him, he'll play his tambourine for you. I'm not sure that method actually works for street musicians, as it's much more common to see them playing their instruments and accepting donations, but it kind of evokes an image of a funny hippie refusing to share his "deep" tambourine music with you unless you pay him first. So the song is a bit tongue-in-cheek without being a novelty song, exactly. And I always appreciate that kind of music.

My verdict: Like it. Songs like this are why I wanted to do this blog. I think it's very odd that a song can get popular enough to reach No. 1, and then get forgotten afterward, especially when it's actually a pretty good song.

No comments:

Post a Comment