Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Song #220: "I Can't Get Next To You" by The Temptations

Date: Oct 18, 1969
Weeks: 2


This is easily a more interesting song than the last Temptations song I reviewed. For one thing, it's much more concise. For another, it doesn't stray quite so far from the idea I had of what the Temptations were about. I guess that's largely because this song is still in the 60s, and the band isn't yet trying to redefine their sound for the 70s.

It's difficult to dissect this song. There's a lot going on in the music most of the time, and it's kind of an overwhelming wall of sound. That's not a bad thing, but it's hard to nitpick what parts are good and bad. My overall impression is that the music is enjoyable, but not necessarily outstanding. The chorus is probably the best part, when the bass and lead guitars play some pleasing chords over each other. There's a lot of that disco-guitar noise happening the background. I guess that's pre-disco guitar noise, since this is the 60s.

The vocals are loose, but they don't stray too far from the music. The singers' voices are a bit too different from each other, and the transition between them grates a little. At least they are better than the last time, and the bass and falsetto singers don't sound quite so goofy and out of place this time.

The lyrics are based around the premise that the singers have amazing magic powers and they can bend the laws of space and time to make anything they want happen, such as "I can make a ship sail on dry land" and "I can turn a river into a raging fire." But despite all their powers, they can't date the woman that they want to date. I suppose it's a classic theme, but there's a part of me that thinks this would make a hilarious premise for a Weird Al song. But I suppose as a regular song, it's okay, too.

My verdict: Don't like it. It's not a bad song, but it didn't really hook me.

No comments:

Post a Comment