Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Song #896: "Shake Ya Tailfeather" by Nelly, P. Diddy, & Murphy Lee

Date: Sept 6, 2003
Weeks: 4


Any song that contains both the Atlanta Braves tomahawk chop cheer and a recurring sample of a police siren is vying for the title of Most Annoying Song I've Ever Heard. And the worst thing is that that tomahawk cheer seems to be the closest this song comes to a melody.

The drum and bass line are actually very enjoyable. I like what's happening there. That is a solid base on which to build a fun song. Also a plus is P. Diddy's rapping. I like his voice and style. I can't say I've heard this Murphy Lee before, but his voice and style are okay. And that's about the end of the list of things I like about this song.

As for things I don't like, there's the tomahawk chop standing in for the melody, like I said before, and the police siren sample. Listening to this song in the car would irritate me. I'd constantly be checking my mirrors before I realized the siren was in the song, not coming up behind me on the freeway. I still don't like Nelly's voice, although this song helps explain why he spelled the title of that other song "Herre," because that's how he actually pronounces that word in this song.

Overall, though, I guess the general sound is kind of all right. If I ignore the things that irritate me, it's a decent enough song to dance to during some of the middle parts. It's from the movie Bad Boys 2, and I bet it fits in with the movie. But the lyrics... oh, the lyrics.

First we have the obnoxious branding. They make sure to insert the rappers' names into the beginning of the song. Not like they're singing about themselves, but like they're making sure if you hear the song on the radio or in the movie, you'll know exactly who sings it without having to ask or read the credits. Then they add "Bad Boys 2, the Soundtrack, let's go." So now you know exactly where you can buy this song. I guess I'm surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more, but it sure removes any chance that a song could be mistaken for art.

I feel like some of these lyrics in the Murphy Lee part need special individual commentary:

"They be like he the man, but I'm really a Thundercat." That's a really clumsy He-Man reference. No one would ever connect "he the man" to "He-Man" without the Thundercats reference. Also, would you rather be a Thundercat than He-Man? Especially when you're trying to reference your virility with regard to sex with women?

"Connect like Voltron." Murphy Lee was a nerd like me when he was a kid, wasn't he?

"Collect so much grass popo thinking we mow lawns." The police wouldn't think you're mowing lawns if you're "collecting" grass. Even I know that slang. Plus it makes little sense from a lawnmowing perspective. Maybe they should have said they collect so much grass, the police think they compost. No, that's stupid, too.

Otherwise, it's just your typical rap "I like to sleep with many women, and I get to because I am just that awesome" song. Nothing new to see here, lyrically.

My verdict: Don't like it. It's not a terrible overall sound, but there are too many obnoxious details that ruin it.

No comments:

Post a Comment