Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Song #538: "Tell Her About It" by Billy Joel

Date: Sept 24, 1983
Weeks: 1


Billy Joel made a few of these throwback songs in the early 80s, including this song and "Uptown Girl." In this case, I think he did a pretty good job mimicking that early 60s sound. But since I'm also reviewing songs originally from that era, I don't think I can give it credit for the accuracy of of its mimicry, only the song's own quality.

Now, these Billy Joel throwback songs aren't my favorite Billy Joel songs, but I can't deny that this song is really catchy. The brass and sax and drums and bass all combine for a really compelling sound. The percussion, dominated by tambourine, is carefully mixed to sound like a crowd clapping along to the beat, and that helps gives the song that compelling crowd energy that makes it feel like a fun time. I feel like I've been down on saxophones in rock music lately, but this song is an example of how to do it right. The saxophone and brass aren't allowed to dominate, or featured in an awkward, out of place solo. Ultimately, this song's success may be a success of mixing, using every instrument appropriately.

Billy Joel's voice is compelling here, with a good mix of intensity and suave coolness. I do think there are some weird, sudden shifts in the tone of his voice from casual to shout-y, especially toward the end of the song when he shifts into the last iteration of the chorus. It feels like a weird edit. Maybe it's edited down from the full-length song, or maybe this is the complete song and this is just it was edited from the source tracks. It's a weird production glitch, but it doesn't ruin the song or anything.

The lyrics come across as relationship advice from "a man who's made mistakes." It's about communicating with your significant other, telling them they are important to you, and not letting them think you take them for granted. "You'll never let her go, but that's just the kind of thing she ought to know." Overall, it's pretty good advice, and I like the perspective of relationship advice from someone who has a failed relationship, but has learned from the experience and hasn't grown bitter about it.

The one lyrical oddity that has often obscured the meaning of this song for me is "But a nice girl wouldn't tell you what you should do." After examining the lyrics, I think this is supposed to be the listener's thought. He's objecting to the girl he dating telling him what he should do. And Billy Joel is advising him to communicate that with her, rather than letting resentment ruin the relationship. I don't think this part is contextualized appropriately to make the meaning clear, but if it's supposed to be Billy Joel expressing that opinion, it seems to run counter to everything else he's saying in the song.

My verdict: Like it. It's not of my favorite Billy Joel songs, but I do like the overall lyrical sentiment, and the music is too catchy to be resisted.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, after listening to the song, I think that line is Billy Joel saying that since she's a nice girl, she's not going to tell you what to do. Meaning, she's not going to tell you that you should tell her how you feel. So it's up to Billy Joel to tell you that instead.

    ReplyDelete