Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Song #200: "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro

Date: Apr 13, 1968
Weeks: 5



Now there's a unique angle for a love song: A guy who's in love with a girl he doesn't even like.

"Came runnin' in all excited, slipped and almost hurt herself, and I laughed 'til I cried."

Wow. That's a degree of mean you rarely get in love songs. That's awful. I guess it's not awful if she was okay, but he didn't say "I made sure she was okay, and then I laughed because she did a great comedy pratfall."

"She was always young at heart, kind of dumb and kind of smart, and I loved her so."

!

I can't imagine saying anyone was "kind of dumb and kind of smart" and expecting anyone to think I liked them. How can I like this character if he says the woman he loved was dumb? I can't even...

Wait.

Is Honey a dog?

That would kind of make sense. She was excited and slipped but was fine. Yeah, it's funny when dogs do that. And "kind of dumb and kind of smart" is a perfect description of a lot of dogs. They're dumb, but they're also smart enough to be trained and we love them for it.

Okay, so Honey's a dog. Clever! I follow you now.

Oh, wait. "She wrecked the car and she was sad, and so afraid that I'd be mad."

*sigh*.

No, Honey is a grown woman. And this guy is awful and condescending to the woman he claims to love.

Then I guess Honey dies suddenly when he's not home. Well, all he says is that "the angels came." Thanks for bothering to understand and explain how the woman you say you loved died, dude. That's really deep of you. You must have really appreciated her.

Oh, unless he means that she was literally taken up by angels. I think I saw an episode of The X-Files like that. But somehow I doubt that's what he means. That would make this song a hundred times more interesting, though.

So the lyrics are condescending, awful, and incapable of even telling a proper story. Well done!

The music is bad, too. I've listened to the album version as well as a live performance. The music is barely there. Utterly generic, ignorable, and present merely to give the awful vocals something to be sung to.

My verdict: Don't like it. The song invests everything in the lyrics. And the lyrics are insulting and awful.

1 comment:

  1. Did Honey kill herself?

    She sits home crying alone all the time, and when she got in a car wreck, she wasn't worried about the wreck, just that he'd be mad. And, as you mentioned, he laughed at her when she fell down. That...is not a happy relationship.

    ReplyDelete