Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Song #324: "TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)" by MFSB featuring The Three Degrees

Date: April 20, 1974
Weeks: 2



My first reaction to reading the title "TSOP by MFSB featuring the Three Degrees" was that I was dealing with a rap song from some time around 2008. With that many acronyms and use of the word "featuring", what else could it be? It was a bit of a shock when I realized the song was from 1974.

When I listened to it, even though I'm not a disco fan, I instantly recognized it as a classic of the disco era. Although I've never seen Soul Train, I'm not remotely surprised to discover that this was the theme song for it.

Researching this song also cleared up some confusion for me. I've had this confused with "Love Train" (#291) forever, and I couldn't quite figure out why. Now I realize that it's because of the common "People all over the world" lyric. In "Love Train," it's a significant part of the chorus. In "TSOP," it's almost the entire lyrical content of the song and, I expect, a direct reference to "Love Train." I'm not sure if "TSOP" is intending to mix together multiple songs into one or not as this is the only sound I recognize. Is it a megamix?

Ooh, concept for a new megamix: Train songs. "Soul Train," "Love Train," "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum, "Midnight Train to Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips (#308), and, let's say "C'mon 'N' Ride It (The Train)" by Quad City DJs. That'll get popular music back on track! (Sorry.)

So there aren't any lyrics to pick on. It all comes down to music.

Disco isn't quite my thing. I knew I'd probably see a lot of it when I started this project, so I promised myself I'd keep an open mind. This song is a pretty good ambassador of the genre. It's catchy. The vocals by the Three Degrees add an important instrument to the song. Strings and saxes are put to good use. There's a great deal of variety throughout the song, yet no part of the song is weak. This is an entertaining composition.

My verdict: Like it. It's putting disco's best foot forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment