Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Song #7: "To Know Him, Is To Love Him" by The Teddy Bears

Date: Dec 1, 1958
Weeks: 3

 

Dear singer of "To Know Him, Is To Love Him,"

Hello from the year 2011. I wanted to inquire a bit about your song "To Know Him, Is To Love Him." I need a few points of clarification to better understand the lyrics.

For example, you lead with "Just to see him smile makes my life worthwhile." I'm not sure I understand. Can you clarify why you feel that your life is not otherwise worthwhile? Do you not have a career, an education, a family, or any other personal life goals to accomplish?

Next you say "Why can't he see? How blind can he be?" What happened when you walked up and talked to him directly? I understand that when investigating a romantic prospect, it can pay to be a bit coy and protect yourself. But surely if you find this fellow important enough to write a song about, you can walk up, introduce yourself, and start a conversation with him.

Then you say "Someday he will see that he was meant for me." Can I ask how you determined this to be the case? It sounds like you haven't spent much time with him to get to know him if he can't see that you like him. So how can you be sure you're supposed to be together? You seem so darn sure, and I'm just curious how you can be.

Your music is a bit slow and low-key compared to much of the music I listen to these days. It's not bad, exactly, and it certainly seems to match the general sound of your era. But when I think of the 1950s, I tend to think of songs that are a bit more energetic. "Mr. Sandman," for example. Okay, I admit that most of my perception of the 1950s is defined by Back to the Future. Even so, "Mr. Sandman" is a good song.

Please respond with your answers to these questions. You can leave a letter with Western Union and tell them to deliver it to me in 2011. Like I said, I really like Back to the Future.

Regards.

My verdict: Don't like it. It's an outdated, sexist sentiment. Its only musical value is nostalgic, and there are better sources for nostalgia. Oh, I didn't type that part into the letter, did I?

No comments:

Post a Comment