Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Song #885: "Hot in Herre" by Nelly

Date: June 29, 2002
Weeks: 7


Make that "Hot in Herre [sic]" by Nelly. What's the meaning of that misspelling? Most misspellings are either trying to make a pun or capture how people talk, but this one just seems like a typo. If they wanted that word to sound drawn-out, wouldn't "Heere" be a better choice? And it doesn't even sound drawn out in the song, so it's really quite pointless.

The backing music is enjoyable. Everything happening in the bass line is good stuff, and the little guitar strum accents throughout are well-used. In researching the possible significance of the misspelling of "herre," I stumbled across a claim that this song's backing track is taken from "Bustin' Loose" by Chuck Brown. I definitely hear a rhythmic similarity in the bass. That can't be denied. But I think "Hot in Herre" is adding enough pitch variations to come off feeling sufficiently original.

I'm no expert in judging rap, but I know what I like, and I don't particularly like Nelly's voice. Mostly I think it's a little high-pitched and whiny. His rhythmic sense is good, but his tone is a bit hard to take. He seems to contrast with the music, rather than matching it.

The lyrics are complete nonsense and yet the gist is quite clear: Nelly wants everybody to get naked because he thinks it would be sexy. But it sounds more like he's just sexually harassing every woman in the room. "Take it off like you're home alone." Alone in the middle of the crowded dance club. "I got a friend with a pole in the basement. I'm just kidding like Jason. Unless you're gonna do it." Ah, one of my favorite slimy pickup techniques. Make an outrageous suggestion, then claim you were kidding. But you actually weren't kidding at all. Also, who is Jason, and why is he kidding? That feels like filler.

(Side note: I looked around, and some of the (very sincere) suggestions I read were hilarious. He's referring to a basketball player named Jason Kidd. He's referring to Jason in Friday the 13th (because he intends to murder the girl in the basement?) He's referring to Jason Alexander from Seinfeld (which had ended 4 years before this song hit No. 1). Nope, I'm more convinced than ever that it's just filler.)

Oh, I mentioned the lyrics were nonsense. "Nelly took a trip from the lunar to Neptune." Okay, "lunar" is an adjective. You can't use it as a two-syllable synonym for the moon because it fits your rhythm. Also, you went to Neptune? That might explain why these lyrics are borderline insane.

My verdict: Don't like it. I like the music, but not the lyrics. Thankfully, Weird Al has me covered. Also, while poking around, I found this funny folk-rock cover of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment