Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Song #14: "Kansas City" by Wilbert Harrison

Date: May 18, 1959
Weeks: 2


The background music in this song is kind of that quintessential 1950s rock sound. I can already imagine it playing in the background of American Graffiti. This is classic rock and roll here. I like the sound of it, but there's not a lot of variety. It goes on and on without much variation. Fortunately, the song is brief enough that it doesn't really manage to get old.

I like Harrison's vocal performance. For the most part his performance is clean and clear, but he adds just enough variety to keep the song interesting. It's well-performed, in a tidy 1950s way.

The lyrics are pretty ordinary, I think. I've never cared for that blues trope where the first line of any verse is repeated twice, and that particular trope is all over this song. It just seems to take away the song's opportunities to say different things. As for the subject, the singer seems to think all his problems will be solved if he moves to Kansas City, because "they got some crazy little women there." It's worth noting that this version of the song changes the lyrics from "If I stay in town I know I'm gonna die" to "If I stay with that woman I know I'm gonna die." I'm not sure I can respect the guy who seems to think all his problems will be solved if he runs away from his current relationship just to pursue a new one.

My verdict: Don't like it. It's fine, really, but it doesn't move me. Also, the lyrics about running away from a relationship just to start a new one kind of bother me.

1 comment:

  1. Not like "Kansas City"?! Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, I suppose, but I think are ready WAY WAY too much into the lyrics instead of enjoying this as a true early rock 'n roll classic. Lighten up, dude.

    ReplyDelete