Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Song #318: "Love's Theme" by Love's Unlimted Orchestra

Date: Feb 9, 1974
Weeks: 1


The love theme from what movie? Oh. No movie. Just Love's theme. Which seems like it's far too generic an idea to inspire a good song. And, as it turns out, that's entirely true.

Barry White wrote this song, but left out his voice and wrote an instrumental piece. I already complained about one Barry White song not having a full enough sound when he wasn't singing, so an entire song where Barry White doesn't sing is very disappointing. There is more bass here than last time, to compensate, but the song still feels like it's missing something. I don't need lyrics, but maybe some non-verbal vocal exercises could have added some interest to this song.

I also don't appreciate the mix of orchestra and 70s wah-wah guitar. I'll try not to hold the general overuse of strings in 70s pop music against this song. But I can't help feel that somebody wrote a pleasant little string orchestra piece and then ruined it with a cheap little wah-wah guitar and synthesized bass undercurrent. There's not really a well-featured instrument, either, so it just ends up feeling like somebody forgot to record the lyrics.

Oh, I take it back. The lyrics don't make this song better. Yikes.

My verdict: Don't like it. I'm not opposed to the idea of a disco instrumental, but this one didn't work out.

1 comment:

  1. It's a pretty good instrumental. Another wrong call on your part.

    ReplyDelete