Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Song #214: "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" by The 5th Dimension

Date: Apr 12, 1969
Weeks: 6


So this is a medley of two songs from the musical Hair, and for some reason I don't think I'd ever heard them together before. They are two distinctive songs that, other than having a similar aesthetic, don't seem to blend together very well.

The "Aquarius" segment is particularly kitschy. It's all about astrology, "mystic crystal revelation," and peace and love. Apparently the "Age of Aquarius" has to do with which zodiac constellation the sun is located in on the vernal equinox. The precession of various celestial bodies causes this to change every 2100 years or so. Depending on the interpretation of the boundary between constellations, the changeover from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius could be anywhere from the 20th century to the 27th century. If I understand right, this is the etymology of the phrase "New Age."  The point, as far as this song is concerned, is that there was a belief that the change from one age to another might usher in a new age of world peace, and so this part of the song celebrates that.

I don't really care for the oddly minor-key overtones through this part of the song. I think it's aiming for a "cosmic" sound, but it just comes off echo-y and like it's trying to come across as more grand than it actually is. I actually kind of like the chaotic guitar stuff happening otherwise.

The second half, "Let The Sunshine In" works much better. I actually really enjoy this part of the song. The bass line proceeds in an intriguing way, the horns punctuate at just the right times, and the overall sound is appealing. The chorus harmonizes and the lead singer scats along in a compelling way. The weakness of this part is that there's not a lot of variety to maintain interest for the length of time it lasts. But the overall sound is too appealing to deny.

My verdict: Like it. I didn't think I would when I started it, but I liked the "Aquarius" part more on repeated listens, and I liked the "Sunshine" part from the get go.

No comments:

Post a Comment