Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Song #124: "Come See About Me" by The Supremes

Date: Dec 19, 1964
Weeks: 2


There were about a million of these "girl groups" in the 60s and from what I've heard so far the Supremes were the best of them. Diana Ross's voice is pleasant and well-matched to the music, and you can almost tell that she's not using all her talent.

This song is pretty typical of the sound that I've heard from the Supremes before. It's a great sound. The singers are backed up by a jazz band, brass section and all. The other singers provide great backup vocals. This is a good sound.

The problem is that sound doesn't vary a lot in this song. It starts off with one musical idea, and that idea doesn't really evolve at all. The verse and the chorus aren't all that different. It's a short song, but by the end of my first listen I was already a bit tired of it.

Lyrically it's a little troublesome, too. Check out this passage:
    I've given up my friends just for you.
    My friends are gone and you have too.
    No peace shall I find 
    Until you come back and be mine.
    No matter what you do or say I'm gonna love you anyway.
So she gave up everything to be with this guy and he has gone away. Nothing indicates why he went away, or when he'll be back. I can't help thinking he's not coming back. Is this a breakup song so deep into the Denial phase that the narrator is unreliable?

My verdict: Don't Like it. It's not a bad song, exactly, but the Supremes have way better songs than this.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I got bored halfway through this song.

    And I've noticed that all the songs by women and women bands from the 50s and early 60s you've reviewed so far are about women defining their lives by men, who usually don't return the feeling. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete