Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Song #906: "Slow Motion" by Juvenile featuring Soulja Slim

Date: Aug 7, 2004
Weeks: 2

(Explicit lyric warning. I won't do that a lot, but I felt this song needed it.)

So you may remember yesterday I reviewed "Cherish" by The Association. I said that because the lyrics revolved around a delicate word, "cherish," the whole song came off as very delicate, and I criticized it for that. Well, here comes a song that shows that going too far the other way isn't a good thing, either.

This song isn't breaking any stereotypes about how awful and disrespectful rap music is in its attitudes toward women. I don't think I even need to quote any lyrics. Even if you only pick up every fifth word, you'll still get the point. The rapper likes the way a woman looks, and describes how she looks and what he wants to do with her in fairly explicit terms. The song is shameless about its treatment of women and doesn't even include a clever turn of phrase to help redeem it.

I know I said "Cherish" was too delicate, but this song is too indelicate. You could have made the same point without being quite so rude, disrespectful, or foul-mouthed, guys.

I'm no great judge of rap talent, but these guys seem to have pleasant enough voices. I've certainly heard worse. If they just had different lyrics, I might appreciate them. Although that grunt they use to introduce the chorus every time ("Uh! I like it like that...") is pretty whiny and obnoxious.

I actually like the backing track they've used. That's a pretty nice guitar sound. It starts to wear thin after four minutes, making me wish there was a bit more variety to the music, but before it got old I kind of liked it.

My verdict: Don't like it. Nothing in this song is good enough to redeem the awful lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment