Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Song #169: "Cherish" by The Association

Date: Sept 24, 1966
Weeks: 3


"Cherish" is a popular song title. The first song I think of when I hear that title is a Madonna song, but there is also a song by Kool & The Gang that I remember. And despite the Madonna song using a similar lyric, "Cherish is the word I use to..." neither of those songs is a remake of this one. It's also worth noting that neither of those songs made it to No. 1.

The song starts out almost aggravatingly soft. It's so delicate and timid. And I suppose that's appropriate for lyrics about unrequited love. "Cherish" is a delicate and soft word, so it only makes sense to write a delicate and soft song around it. The song builds throughout, adding more vocalists, more guitars, and more drums. By the time it gets to the last iteration of the chorus, it's living up to its potential. It's big and bold, and every layer of sound is pleasant, the vocal harmony most of all. That last chorus has a great sound, and I like it quite a bit.

The lyrics are all right, but have you noticed that songs about unrequited love almost always contain that one lyric that hints at a different, not-as-nice version of the story? He wishes he could hold you, he wishes he could tell you how he feels. He loves you so much he doesn't think there exist sufficient words to describe it, and because of that he doesn't think he could express that his love is more special than what any other guy might say.

That's all fine, but then there's this: "You don't know how many times I've wished that I could mold you into someone who could cherish me as much as I cherish you." So... I love you, but only if I can change you. I guess if the only change he wants is to be loved back, it's not so bad, but still. Something about the words "mold you into someone who" triggers my ire. Maybe find someone you don't have to change to be with you, dude.

My verdict: Don't like it. That last chorus is good, and if more of the song were like that, I could like it. But overall it's too soft and the lyrics aren't sufficiently impressive to overcome that.

1 comment:

  1. I think someone was a little lonely during the holidays, listening to Carol of the Bells, when he wrote this song.

    ReplyDelete