Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Song #514: "I Love Rock 'N Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Date: Mar 20, 1982
Weeks: 7


Now this is more like it. This is classic rock and roll for the ages. It's got wailing guitar, vocals filled with attitude, and a percussion line you can't help but clap along to. I think this may be the closest thing to punk rock on this list. This song isn't punk rock, not really. It's a bit too slow for that. But Joan Jett makes punk rock (you can hear her excellent punk rock song "Bad Reputation" in the beginning of the above video). And as far as I'm aware, no other punk artist has reached No. 1. So this is the closest thing you'll find to punk on this list.

The biggest reason this song is so good is the music. The guitars are hard and heavy, but the drums are fairly soft. And the guitars drop out from time to time to let the vocals carry the song. The result is a song that makes use of hard guitars without ever feeling like they're so hard that they're unpleasant. I like punk rock, but I understand that it can be a little overwhelming for some people. This song nicely splits the difference for maximum awesomeness.

Joan Jett's vocals are also a really great part of this song. Her bratty, punk attitude works along with the guitars to make an energetic and fun song. The backing vocals are a bit of a cheat to make the listener feel like a huge crowd around them is singing along to an arena rock anthem, but I don't mind the cheat very much. Those backing vocals contribute extra energy, and that's a good thing.

The lyrics are pretty simple. She sees the guy at the jukebox at the bar, they bond over a shared affection for the same music, and they go home together. It's a simple enough rock and roll story, and Joan Jett's vocals are well-matched to these lyrics, emphasizing the bold, bratty, I'll-do-what-I-want-no-matter-what-anyone-thinks sentiment. The lyrics are really kind of secondary to just singing "I love rock 'n roll" over and over with much enthusiasm, but what's there is decent enough.

I think it's worth noting that this song is a cover. It was originally made by the Arrows in 1975. Their version is a pretty good song to start with, but Joan Jett's punk attitude and brash guitars improves on the original.

My verdict: Like it. I think this is my favorite song that I've reviewed so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment