Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Song #828: "Too Close" by Next

Date: Apr 25, 1998
Weeks: 5


Random Youtube comment from the above video: "Most discrete song about getting a boner of all time!" Other than confusing "discrete" with "discreet", and probably meaning "subtle" anyway, and being totally wrong about anything in this song being either discreet or subtle, I think this person is exactly right.

That's pretty much all this song is about, too. The guy goes to the dance club and goes grind-dancing close to a women. He describes how she's getting him excited, and then she comments that she can tell because she can feel ... something that is left to our imaginations. But I think we can guess what it is. Him: "I love when you shake it like that." Her: "I see that you like it like that."

The writers of Saturday Night Live couldn't make a better spoof of dance club grinding music if they tried. I don't know what Next was trying to say by making this song. Were they addressing the most obvious problem with grinding in an attempt to de-stigmatize it? So the women in the dance club wouldn't be surprised when it happened? Is this an attempt at conditioning so they can keep on dancing the way they like without getting interrupted? I'm grasping for a logical explanation, when all I can really come up with is that this is a failed joke.

The music is pretty lousy and generic bass-and-drum soft R&B stuff, and doesn't even seem like very good dance music. The singers all sound pretty terrible. "You know what I waAAaaant to do." These guys need Auto-tune, but I guess it's not available yet. This is the quality of performance you'd expect from Saturday Night Live, with their rushed schedule and singers best known for their comedic talent. Are we sure this isn't an SNL sketch that somehow ran to the top of the pop charts?

My verdict: Don't like it. Unintentionally hilarious. And I prefer my humor to be intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment