Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Song #584: "We Built This City" by Starship

Date: Nov 16, 1985
Weeks: 2


Well, this is going to be a tough one. I've heard this song trashed up and down the Internet. It's an objectively terrible song, emblematic of everything that was wrong with cheesy synth-pop-rock in the 1980s. The problem for me is this: This was my first favorite song, and I still have warm feelings for it.

It's guilty of all the worst sins of 80s music. The synth keyboards blare in both the treble and the bass. The drums are primarily that echoing 80s drum I've complained about before. The guitars are also at their most blaring. The singers are fairly androgynous; it's hard to even tell Grace Slick's voice apart from Mickey Thomas unless you know the song. And yet it all manages to work together to create a cohesive whole. The song is so bold and unapologetic and unafraid to be an 80s pop-rock song that I can't help but like it still. I complained about the music for "Sara" (#591), but that was using many of these same sounds in a soft song, and it was incongruous and felt fake. This song isn't trying to be soft. It's just trying to be rock and roll, albeit in a gentle, synthesized 80s kind of way, and the enthusiasm is infectious.

The enthusiasm for what, I'm not sure. I have never understood the lyrics, and I still don't. They're utter nonsense. Songfacts has a wacky theory: "a cry of rebellion against a corporation trying to ban rock and roll in an imaginary future." Yes, the politics and culture of the 1980s was so friendly to popular music that they had to go pick an imaginary fight. And not communicate it very clearly. "Who rides the wrecking ball into our guitars?" Is this that classic evolution-of-metaphor problem? Let me see if I can trace it. "Someone is destroying music" expands to "Who is wrecking our guitars?" expands to "Who's taking a wrecking ball to our guitars?" expands to "Who rides the wrecking ball into our guitars?" The result is a flowery line that is so far removed from the original metaphor that all meaning has been lost.

The bigger lyrical problem is the chorus and title. "We built this city on rock and roll." That's almost certainly untrue. No cities were founded or built because of rock and roll. Am I wrong here? Are there any cities that were built or even expanded because of rock and roll? Music is big in Nashville, but that's mostly country music. Las Vegas boomed because of musical performances, but that was all kinds of music. Seattle boomed in the 90s because of grunge rock, but this song is from 1985. That hadn't happened yet. And most of the bigger cities in the world were big before rock and roll came along. Maybe it's Memphis? Elvis presumably drew rock and roll music to Memphis, even if Memphis isn't that big a city. Or maybe they mean that theoretical future city trying to ban rock and roll, but they don't bother to explain it. But whatever. The lyrics are nonsense and I don't care. Maybe this song is the reason I don't hold nonsense lyrics against a song, because I loved it even though I could never understand the meaning.

My verdict: Like it. It's a fun pop song, and a genuinely good product of its era. Maybe I have too much nostalgic affection for the song to view it objectively, but I still think it's good, anyway.

2 comments:

  1. You are very literal about lyrics much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song could almost be said to be generic of the time it came out. When it came out, I rejected it out of hand. It sounded like a knockoff of other songs of the time, and unoriginal. Additionally, given their musical pedigree, Starship had more to offer artistically, even without Marty Balin. Nostalgia aside, shake the head.

    ReplyDelete