Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Song #33: "Itsy Bisty Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" by Brian Hyland

Date: Aug 8, 1960
Weeks: 1


For some reason, I always thought this song was originally performed by a woman. I guess Connie Francis recorded a version of this song, but my research indicates Brian Hyland had the first recording, and he's the one who reached No. 1 with it.

I guess in 1960 the bikini was still a relatively new thing, and this song is indirectly about its social acceptance, by portraying a young woman who is suddenly less sure of her bold swimsuit choice now that she's actually at the beach and wearing it. And the singer of the song seems kind of wryly amused at her predicament and lack of self-assuredness. And that's one way where the song being sung by a man kind of ruins it for me. He comes off like he's just kind of laughing at her situation. Whereas Connie Francis sounds a little more sympathetic. I don't know. The gender politics of people talking about a woman wearing a bikini in 1960 are so far beyond my area of expertise, I'm not sure I can discuss it intelligently.

Most of the music here is fine. Pretty basic 50s-style rock and roll, with a bit of a beach vibe to it. Clearly it's supposed to be a song to play at a beach dance party. And it's fine for that. But what I don't care for is the background singers. There are too many of them. It's like there's an entire chorus back there. And their contributions are pretty dumb. "2, 3, 4, tell the people what she wore." That's just a space-filler. There's also a "ba-ba-dum" they do in the background during the verses that would have been better done by an instrument. A guitar, a drum, or even a xylophone would have been a better way to handle the need for that sound.

My verdict: Don't like it. It sounds like it was recorded for a children's record. There's a better way to record this song. This is not that better way. But you know, theoretically.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, when he says "the poor little girl is turning blue" that's rather patronizing. She's not a little girl. Also, from the shore to the water, there isn't anymore? Um, did she get out of the water or did she freeze? Annoying.

    Plus, I'm guessing an itsy bitsy teeny weeny bikini in 1960 was nowhere near as itsy bitsy and teeny weeny as bikinis today.

    ReplyDelete