Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Song #522: "Who Can It Be Now?" by Men At Work

Date: Oct 30, 1982
Weeks: 1


Ahhhhh. Just when I'm on the verge of declaring some trope or another to be stupid and wonder why it's even a thing in popular music, along comes a song that reminds me why people thought it was good in the first place. And so it is with this song. It's a one-song lesson on the virtues of the saxophone in popular rock music.

I love the arrangement in this song. The guitars are perfectly balanced to provide interest during the verses, but they never detract from the vocals in the verse, or the saxophone in the chorus or bridge. I love the way the song builds to the chorus. I love the way the vocals and the saxophone alternately wail the chorus. I love the way the sound feels a little thin and light early on and builds into a fairly full sound by the end. This is a well-orchestrated song, from the use of the guitars, to the featured saxophone, to the drums that provide a little extra interesting variety at surprising moments throughout.

The lyrics seem to be the paranoid worries of a shut-in. He's not sure who is at the door, and wants to be quiet until the person goes away. As far as I can tell, the song was written as just a goofy, silly idea, rather than a genuine exploration of mental breakdown. It certainly works on that level. Lines like "If he hears, he'll knock all day. I'll be trapped, and here I'll have to stay," provide a funny idea of a guy who is scared of everything.

My verdict: Like it. It's a well-put-together song that makes me remember why saxophones are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment