Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

Song #246: "The Tears Of A Clown" by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Date: Dec 12, 1970
Weeks: 2


Pop music history is riddled with songs that took a distinctive, attention-grabbing introduction, and used it to lead into a bland, ordinary, unexciting song. I'm happy to say this is not one of them, because this song manages to live up to the promise of that unique calliope opening.

The bass and sax throughline in this song is wonderfully distinctive and remarkable on its own, and when put together with the calliope make for an unmistakable and appealing song. I also enjoy how the chorus builds into a bit of choas before gathering itself together and pushing back to the calliope. It's hard to believe any pop music sound could be cohesive with an opening that sounds like it came from the circus, but this song pulls it off. I'm not surprised to learn the music was written by Stevie Wonder, because I'm starting to realize he's one of the great music writers of the 70s.

And Smokey Robinson deserves no small credit for writing lyrics that match the music's tone so well. He took that circus theme and ran with it, writing a song about a person who has a happy face metaphorically painted on, even though he's sad about a breakup. "Smiling in the public eye, but in my lonely room I cry." The sad tone of the lyrics contrast with the happy way Robinson sings them, in a way that is perfectly paired with the whole "Tears of a Clown" concept. Like the words suggest, the song isn't as happy as it might seem at first.

My verdict: Like it. This is a well-crafted and well-performed song. I just wish I could have found a cleaner mix to share, because the only thing that could improve it is a fuller bass line.

No comments:

Post a Comment