Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Song #154: "Lightnin' Strikes" by Lou Christie

Date: Feb 19, 1966
Weeks: 1


Wikipedia claims this song was often mistaken for a Frankie Valli song. There is a stylistic similarity, to be sure, although the singing in the verse is so different from Frankie Valli that I'm not sure anyone could make that mistake.

The instrumentation on this song is interesting. The style almost sounds like it's halfway between the doo-wop songs of the 50s and the overly orchestral pop songs of the 70s. Yet it doesn't quite sound like much of what is normally associated with the 60s. The saxophone and piano are particularly unusual sounds for the era, in my experience. There are plenty of 60s guitar sounds and drums to go along with it, though, and I think the whole thing is fairly well arranged. I particularly like the way the sound builds up from the verse to get into the chorus.

Part of that buildup is done vocally, too. I'm ambivalent about the singing in this song. Lou Christie swings from pretty pop song singing to 60s rock chanting to Frankie Valli wailing. I'm not sure I like any one style, but I appreciate the diversity. The female background singers come on strongest during the chorus, and they sound a bit like a cheerleading squad. Overall, I think I appreciate their contribution to the overall energy, even if they don't sound great on their own.

The lyrics are a piece of work. The guy is stringing along some poor girl who wants to be in an exclusive relationship with him. He says, "Believe it or not you're in my heart all the time," but he also says when he sees another attractive woman, "I can't stop myself." So basically he's trying to make an excuse for a wandering eye and, possibly, outright cheating, because he's just a guy who's naturally inclined to be unfaithful. But he wants to have his cake and eat it too, because he's trying to string her along with promises that some day he can settled down and be faithful. This guy is a piece of work.

However, it does seem like the song is intentionally written this way. I think the intent is semi-satirical. "When I settle down I want one baby on my mind." That's kind of a giveaway. So, although the character singing the song isn't admirable, the song is at least aware of it.

My verdict: Like it. It's decent satire, and a healthy mix of good 60s rock sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment