Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Song #969: "My Life Would Suck Without You" by Kelly Clarkson

Date: Feb 7, 2009
Weeks: 2


I don't like American Idol. It's bad enough that music companies manufacture pop stars and rob music of its organic roots. But then they turn the process of manufacturing those pop stars into televised entertainment, and we're supposed to enjoy it? I just can't support that. Yet somehow their crazy process managed to pick Kelly Clarkson the first time out. While I tried to dismiss her for a long time, I wasn't able to resist the appeal of  "Since U Been Gone." That song was nothing like anything I would have expected to come out of American Idol, and I have to say the show succeeded in spite of itself when it picked Kelly Clarkson. Thankfully I can read from Wikipedia that she had split from her American Idol management when she made that song, so my world can continue to make sense.

Happily, this song continues the high-energy pop/rock tradition from "Since U Been Gone." With driving bass, a chorus that practically explodes in your ear, a sound that fills a room, and an appealing chord progression throughout, there's no denying this song's energy. Overall, it's fun and easy to dance to.

Actually, it might be a little too high-energy. That's not a criticism I make often, but something about this song feels like it goes beyond high-energy, passes frantic, and gets into the realm of hyperactive. I think it's the fact that the fast beat never goes away. There's never a break from it. The fat synthesizer bass is appealing for a while, but it keeps carrying it, even when it might be better to calm down and give the listener a break from it. And even during the bridge, when everything else breaks down, the percussion keeps that driving beat alive. Hyperactive songs can work, but they're best if they are short or if they stop every now and then.

I like the vocals here. Clarkson gives a high-energy, loud performance without veering into being screechy. It gives the song energy. This was what impressed me so much in "Since U Been Gone," that she wasn't just showing off her voice but was giving the song what it needed to be good. And that continues here.

The lyrics are about two people who have tried breaking up, but find that they don't like being apart. They both seem pretty damaged and a bit codependent. "I know that I've got issues, but you're pretty messed up, too. Either way I found out I'm nothing without you." This probably isn't the best foundation to build a relationship on. Yet they have tried being apart and it doesn't work, either. "My life would suck without you." I think the message is intentional, and watching the video confirms that. This isn't a good relationship, but these people are stuck together until they realize it's not good. That's the story that they're trying to tell, and I think they do a good job of that. I'm glad I'm not in a relationship like this, but I've known people who were and I think I can understand the sentiment.

My verdict: Like it. It has its flaws, but overall it's good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment