Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Song #593: "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco

Date: Mar 29, 1986
Weeks: 3


I always knew this blog would poke into the past, but I didn't expect to be discussing Henry VIII, Beethoven, and Mozart all in one week. That's a bit further into the past than I expected.

For some reason I'd always thought this song from from the 1984 movie Amadeus, but it turns out it was only inspired by it. It wasn't released until 1985. And I guess I never listened to it closely enough to realize the lyrics were in German. There were a lot of international remixes, and the music video used the original version. I had to hunt a bit to find the version that played on the radio in the U.S., but I think I've got the right one.

The additions for the US version of this song are superfluous and pointless. Credit to the record studio for cleverness, because the addition of an English chorus to the beginning and end of the song helps keep the casual listener from even noticing the song is in German. I understand why they did it, but it doesn't match the song very well. When the second English chorus comes in, it feels like a whole new song has started. The song would be better without it.

Fortunately, the US edit doesn't detract much from the quality of the original song. That 80s poundy drum that I usually complain about? This is the type of song where it works. The song is loud, it's brash, and the drum makes it a bit like a slow march. This is also the type of song that makes synthesized keyboards work. They aren't trying to be soft, or tender, or delicate, they're just trying to create a tune you can dance to. The bass sits comfortably in the background offering support. And there's plenty of variety in the percussion to keep it interesting. And I think variety is what makes the song successful. There's sufficient variety to stay interesting, but the song keeps wandering back to the theme. And that's why a song that is primarily remembered for saying "Rock me Amadeus" over and over manages to stay interesting the whole time.

The vocals are almost uncomfortably staccato and choked. I suppose that's partly because they are in German, but I think they're also stylized that way, although I'm not sure I entirely understand why.

The lyrics, translated, suggest that Mozart was the first punk rock star. He had groupies, he threw his money around, he lived the lifestyle of a rich and famous rock star. I admit that I don't know much about Mozart's life and I haven't seen Amadeus (which is known for not being very historically accurate anyway). So I don't know if Falco's interpretation of Mozart as a rock star is based on his life or the movie, and I don't know how accurate it is. But I can certainly see the point he's making. I think it was a relatively original idea at the time, as well. Since this song, it seems like a favorite pasttime of movie-makers to make movies that compares historical figures to modern-day celebrities.

My verdict: Like it. It's catchy and bouncy. The lyrics are clever, even if they're not exactly easy for an English-speaker to sing along with. It's the sound of the 80s presented in a fresh and interesting way.

No comments:

Post a Comment