Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Song #157: "(You're My) Soul And Inspiration" by The Righteous Brothers

Date: Apr 9, 1966
Weeks: 3


While the Righteous Brothers have persisted in the consciousness of popular music, their songs haven't necessarily. Sure, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" (#127) is a well-regarded classic. And "Unchained Melody" has also endured the test of time, thanks partially to the movie Ghost resurrecting it in the 1990s. But their other songs haven't really been remembered by the culture, and so I haven't really heard any others that I can think of. And so that brings us here, to a song that I know I've never heard before.

The first thing I notice about this song is that its composition seems very familiar. Every time the song builds up to the chorus, I fully expect to hear the chorus of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin." And when that's not what I hear, I can't help but feel disappointed. And yet the more I listen to this song, the more I like this chorus. The sound is very big, with a backing chorus, and what sounds like an orchestra of generous size swelling to fill out the sound. It's actually bigger than the sound in the chorus of that other song. The vocal harmony of the two lead singers and the backing chorus is well-combined and pleasing. The great thing about the Righteous Brothers is that they sound like they are giving everything they've got during the chorus. It gives their songs passion and energy.

I'm not sure the verses match up to the chorus, though. The backup singers and orchestra aren't quite living up to their potential here. There's a wandering background string that just seems like it's there because they had an orchestra around and didn't know enough to say that less was more. The lead singers also aren't fulfilling their potential here. That low voice they sing in during the verses isn't very pleasant. It sounds so affected and fake. The bridge part with the talking is also one of those song features that just never works for me. I complained about that when Boyz II Men did it, but it's not really any better coming from the Righteous Brothers. At least I know where Boyz II Men got it from.

This is one of those breakup songs that's all about sadness and depression. The lyrics are a bit pathetic. "Without you, baby, what good am I?" He's begging not to be dumped, and yet all he's doing is trying to lay a down a guilt trip while making it all about himself. He even kind of suggests that he might kill himself if he's left alone, with lyrics like "How can I live through this" and "If you go it will kill me I swear" and, during the spoken part, "You're my reason... for living, for dying." Maybe he's just hinting at withering away to nothing, but he's not really making that clear. He's trying to guilt his way into being undumped. This is a terrible lyrical sentiment.

My verdict: Don't like it. The chorus has its moments, but the verse is hard to take and the lyrics aren't very admirable.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've heard that chorus before, at least the "my soul and my inspiration." But you're right; it sounds a lot like "you've lost that lovin' feelin'" and I think I've confused these two songs in my mind before.

    ReplyDelete