Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Song #59: "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles and his Orchestra

Date: Oct 9, 1961
Weeks: 2


I always thought this song was older than this. It sounds like a big band song from the 1940s, and seems to be such a widely-known phrase in the culture that I thought its origin must have been older  than 1961. But no, although Ray Charles didn't write it, he did make the original recording. I spent some time poking around the Internet to see if I could find an older origin for the entire phrase "Hit the road, Jack," but I couldn't find one, so I assume its origin is this song. The song has been covered, remixed, and performed live so many times that I had a hard time finding the original studio recording. I hope this one is right, because I'm not so sure. It sounds way too clean, even for a remix.

Ray Charles is the epitome of cool. His sense of how to jazz up a song is wonderful. I have always loved his rendition of "America The Beautiful" in particular. His piano is always energetic and fun, even in a slow song. Ray Charles can do no wrong in his performance, and this song is no exception to that rule.

Which isn't to say the song is arranged perfectly. The piano chords acting as the bass line are a bit repetitive. There's an elegant simplicity to them, and I think that's part of the reason the song is so well-known. But they start to wear out their welcome, even in the short amount of time that the song runs. There's not quite enough variety, and the piano dominates the song. I like the drums and the occasional interjection from the brass section, though. The brass in particular livens up the chorus in an appealing way.

The background singers are fine. I guess he had a group of background singers called the Raylettes who provided the backup singing. Their performance isn't exceptional, but it doesn't need to be. That's why they're the backup singers. There was probably room to recruit a better vocal talent to provide the female counterpoint, that could have improved the song. But they do a sufficient job.

Lyrically, the song is about a man being thrown out of his home by the woman who feels wronged. The reasons aren't really explored, beyond when the female singer says "you ain't got no money, you just ain't no good." He offers no defense. "I guess if you say so, I have to pack my things and go." He complains that she's mean, she stands her ground. It doesn't so much tell a story as it captures the emotion of a breakup that maybe wasn't seen coming. I think the lyrics are effective, although the verses aren't really what's memorable. What's memorable is the chorus, "Hit the road, Jack." Like I said, it's become part of the cultural lexicon far divorced from its origins. I bet you can find people using this phrase who have never heard of this song.

My verdict: Like it. Ray Charles can do no wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment