Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

In Memoriam: Davy Jones

Release date: Mar 6, 1967
Peak Chart Position: #2


I haven't gotten to the Monkees yet, but I will. I enjoy their music. Their songs may have been derivative of the Beatles, but at least they were copying something that was worth having more of. And their songs were always well-crafted.

Davy Jones was an important part of the group. He was often considered "the cute one," and I was more drawn to the other guys who seemed to have more colorful characters on the TV show. But in retrospect I realize he was just as good with a joke as the others.

I also think he was their best singer, and this song is a good example of the kind of melodies he could sing that the other guys didn't necessarily achieve when they took their turns at the microphone. I'm not sure this song is the best example, but the best example is a No. 1 song that we'll get to eventually. Anyway, he was an important part of a group whose importance in pop music history is often underestimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment