Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Song #267: "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green

Date: Feb 12, 1972
Weeks: 1


I've probably declared a great many songs overproduced. "Make it simpler." Fewer instruments, fewer unnecessary background elements. It might give people the impression that I'd rather see every singer backed by a simple guitar, or piano, or jazz band. And yet here's a song that could benefit from just a little bit more production.

Al Green is a very talented singer, and I certainly wouldn't want to suggest that anything be done that would obscure his voice. I like some of the very delicate touches in his voice. It makes the song feel intimate. Given the subject matter, that's certainly the intent.

But an intimate song is better if it's more intense, and intensity is what this song lacks. There's not enough energy, especially in the first half of the song. The first verse is so quiet and slow that my mind wanders. It's only around the time the song gets to the verse that the energy and intensity reaches what I think is an appropriate level. The bass gets more pronounced, the brass fanfares kick in, the backup singers join in, and the song finally generates some of the emotional energy that I want it to have. But then, just when I think the song is about to reach a good level, it's over. It's like one long buildup that never got around to the payoff.

I actually really like the lyrics. It's a song about commitment to a relationship. "Loving you whether times are good or bad, happy or sad." There's no drama or despair or pain, just happy people in a happy relationship realizing how lucky they are and wanting to stay that way. On top of that, it has some of that poetry of words that just sound good together.

My verdict: Don't like it. There's certainly nothing wrong with this song, but I'm just frustrated by its lack of intensity. It seems like it just needs a little proper mixing, or a good live performance, but I can't quite find one that gets what I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment