Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Song #367: "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" by John Denver

Date: June 7, 1975
Weeks: 1


I'm not a country boy, but I find myself charmed by this song anyway. There's a plain and simple joy present in both the writing and performance of this song that can't be denied. I think the live recording energizes it, so it was a good choice to release this recording as the single.

I really like the music here. It's basic guitar, violin, and string bass country music. Most of the percussion sounds like it comes from hand claps and foot stomps. The vocal harmonies are well-done. I enjoy the simplicity of this. That's unusual for most of the 70s music I've reviewed, where music simplicity seems to not be allowed.

The lyrics are about a country boy who is happy about his life, and his joy is infectious. "I got me a fine wife, I got my old fiddle. When the sun's coming up, I got cakes on the griddle." Sounds like a great morning to me. I like that he loves all the things that make his life good. I really like that he doesn't feel too much need to compare his life to other people and claim his way is superior. Yeah, there are a couple lines that get close to that, but for the most part it's all about how happy he is to have a family, a farm, a fiddle, and his life in general. It's not a list of things he wants or doesn't want. He aspires to nothing more than to be happy with his life the way it is, and that's appealing.

My verdict: Like it. It's catchy and fun and positive. What's not to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment