Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Song #344: "Whatever Gets You Through The Night" by John Lennon with The Plastic Ono Nuclear Band

Date: Nov 16, 1974
Weeks: 1


I think it's really odd that this song is credited to John Lennon "with the Plastic Ono Band," when it's clearly a duet with Elton John. I spent a bit of time trying to find the correct version of this song, convinced I'd stumbled onto a later collaborative cover. But no, this really is the song that charted. And it's not like this was before Elton John was famous. Both "Benny and the Jets" (#323) and "Crocodile Rock" (#289) had topped the charts already.

Well, whatever the reason for it, I'm glad this collaboration exists. The track opens with Lennon and John laughing, and not only does it sound natural and spontaneous, like the mixer captured a spare take and threw it in to the recording, but it also sets the mood. This is a light and fun song.

I really like the instrument choices. The jazz piano and handclap percussion propel the song forward with a compelling momentum. The guitar fills out the sound and gives the song an intense energy. And of course the saxophone in the lead is spectacular. The saxophone player is long-time session musician Bobby Keys, and even though I'm not sure I can say I know his work, I'm already a fan based on his intense, wild, but clean performance here.

There aren't a lot of lyrics. I guess Lennon liked the phrase "Whatever gets you through the night" and wrote a bit of a stream-of-consciousness song around it. I can't say I really get the meaning, but that's fine.

If there's one drawback to the song it's that it's just a little bit repetitive. It's mitigated by a lot of things, like the variety of performance in both the singing and the saxophone. And the occasional halts work great to break up the song and keep it from feeling like a constant droning train ride to nowhere. But it can get a little droning at times.

My verdict: Like it. I think the flaws are more than made up for by the splendid use of all the talent involved and the careful steps taken to mitigate the repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment