Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Song #548: "Hello" by Lionel Richie

Date: May 12, 1984
Weeks: 2


I spent a year imagining what review I would do for the first anniversary of my blog. I finally decided to just note the occasion and let the random number generator carry on. But apparently the random number generator felt the need to mark the milestone, too. So for review number 201, I randomly got tasked to review my second song by the very first artist I reviewed, Lionel Richie. I couldn't have found a better review topic if I'd come up with one intentionally.

On the other hand, I don't care for this song. It's just so slow and painfully earnest that I can't quite take it seriously. I think it's mostly the combination of the really soft and gentle piano and Richie's loudly-whispered vocals that really gets me. Then factor in the synthesized flute that plays throughout and I just avoid getting a creepy vibe from this song.

Not helping the creepy vibe is the lyrics. "I've been alone with you inside my mind. And in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times." This isn't about love as much as it's about obsession. And it just goes on from there. There's something about the line "I long to see the sunlight in your hair" that gets me. It sounds like something a troll or vampire or other mythical creature that literally can't go out in sunlight would say to the object of their obsession. And then, even if I ignore all that, I'm left with the chorus "I want to tell you so much, I love you." Okay, so... why don't you? Seriously, what's stopping the singer of this song from telling the other person how he feels? The song doesn't even attempt an explanation. My best guess is plain old fear of rejection. So he writes a song that explores that fear of rejection without even the self-awareness to name it. He doesn't write a song explaining why he's in love with this person specifically. He clearly doesn't even know them very well: "I wonder where you are, and I wonder what you do." I suppose exploring this kind of obsession and a crippling fear of rejection is valid material for a song, but the fact that this seems to be intended as a love song makes it comes off creepy.

Which brings me back to the music, because the minor chords and synthesized, soft instruments just amplify the creepiness. This live rendition isn't nearly as creepy, because of increased use of natural instruments. The piano isn't as quiet, and Richie's voice isn't as whispery. It feels a bit more authentic and genuine.

My verdict: Don't like it. Even if I decided to ignore the intended message and tried to enjoy it as a song about obsession, the instrumentation just makes this song a chore to listen to, rather than fun.

2 comments:

  1. Was this song for a movie? Because that video is odd if not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no movie, just this. This was around the time of "Thriller", and it seems like a copycat attempt to turn a music video into a mini-movie.

    ReplyDelete