Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Song #614: "You Give Love A Bad Name" by Bon Jovi

Date: Nov 29, 1986
Weeks: 1


This song is arguably the best example of rock music in the late 80s.

The music has it all, strong electric guitars, heavy but well-used synth keyboards, a poundy 80s drum that mixes well with the rest of the music, rocking bass, and sheer exuberant energy. The synths may date the song, but they work as a piece of the whole.

The vocals are also matched to the music just right. They have that defiant edge and enthusiastic energy that an 80s rock song needs to have. Jon Bon Jovi walks a line between singing and yelling, without ever crossing over the line and becoming screechy.

There aren't a lot of lyrics here. I think they were trying to spend as much time on the crowd-pleasing chorus and as little time as possible in the verses. The music doesn't suffer for it, but there aren't a lot of lyrics to analyze. The picture I get is the a guy in a complicated relationship with a lot of drama. "You promise me heaven but put me through hell." I suppose I've seen a lot of that sort of thing doing this list. But for once, I don't think this guy minds. "No one can save me, the damage is done." I think he finds it appealing. Certainly, that's what Jon Bon Jovi's tone of voice is telling me.

My verdict: Like it. If there's a more persuasive example of the value of late 80s rock, I haven't found it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment